Friday, August 19, 2011

Salad Days of Summer

The difference between a good salad and a great salad is the dressing.  I lean to the creamier, richer dressings that add all the dreaded fat and calories to an otherwise healthy salad.  I like a big salad at lunch time to fill me up and get me through the "valley of munchies" that strike around 4pm.  So to stay with my current eating plan I whipped up two dressings that are packed with flavor.  I use Dijon mustard in both to add body to the dressing and keep the ingredients blended.

Balsamic Dijon Dressing

Makes 1 cup

1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup Dijon mustard

Whisk together all ingredients.  Cover and refrigerate up to 1 week.  (A 1/4 cup serving is plenty for a a big tossed salad and counts for 1 tablespoon oil on the 17 Day Diet)

Orange Dijon Dressing

Makes 1 cup

1/2 cup white wine or cider vinegar
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
1/4 cup sugar free orange marmalade

Whisk together all ingredients.  Cover and refrigerate up to 1 week.  (I love this dressing because it's fat free!)  This dressing is also delicious spooned over baked fish fillets.

Tip:  If you like a sweeter dressing you can add a packet of artificial sweetener or some agave nectar to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment