Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Time for Soup!

Whenever my refrigerator is brimming with produce or leftovers it's time to make a pot of soup!  Of course the soup never tastes the same way twice, but it always tastes great (or so my critics tell me).  I start with the same basics...onion, garlic and broth.  From there I layer on the flavor with seasonings, vegetables (raw or cooked) and leftover chicken, beef or pork.  I also add a package of shredded cole slaw mix to bulk up the soup and add great flavor. 

Italian seasoning is my go to dried herb....in just one bottle you get marjoram, thyme, rosemary, savory, sage, oregano and basil...beats having to keep a bottle of each on hand!  I like to add some curry powder...not enough to scream curry.  Just a subtle back note that you'll find creates a nice flavor blend.  To round out the herbs and spices, some coarsely ground black pepper adds a little heat. 

You really can't hurt this recipe....just follow the basic amounts using your own choice of  ingredients.   Let me know how it turns out!  

'Clean Out The Refrigerator' Soup

Makes 10 (2-cup) servings

3 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
10 cups chopped vegetables (raw or cooked)*
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
2 teaspoons curry powder
1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
2 cartons (48 ounces) fat free chicken broth
1 package (16 ounces) shredded cole slaw mix
4 cups diced cooked chicken, beef, or pork
  1. Heat the oil over medium heat in an 8-quart pot.  Add the onion, garlic, raw chopped vegetables, Italian seasoning, curry and black pepper.  Cook and stir until tender, about 8 to 10 minutes.

  2. Add the broth and cole slaw mix.  Heat to a boil.  Reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes. 



    3.  Stir in the cooked vegetables and chicken and heat through.   

*I used red and green bell peppers, mushrooms, celery and shredded carrot.

No comments:

Post a Comment